Equipment maintenance is probably the most important factor in the overall operation, efficiency, life expectancy and the amount of money you will spend during the lifetime of your medical air or medical vacuum pumps. High quality oils and lubrication make all the difference in the world.
As with an engine, oil is there to lubricate, ease friction and cool down the moving parts in your equipment. Most pump wear occurs at start-up. Proper initial lubrication reduces friction, yielding greater efficiency and more power.
Synthetic oils can flow more than seven times faster than conventional oil during initial start-up. In addition, the molecules in synthetic oils are much more consistent in size and shape allowing them to withstand higher pump temperatures during daily operation.
Synthetic oils have the following distinct advantages over conventional oils:
- Exceptional lubrication of moving parts
- Transfers heat away from the pumps and moving parts
- Increases equipment operating efficiency
- By design, synthetics maintain their integrity longer
- Fewer contaminants keep pumps cleaner internally
- Stability at excessive high and low operating and ambient temperatures
- Higher flash point for extreme operating temperatures
- Reduces maintenance frequency and maintenance costs
- Reduces energy consumption and lowers energy cost
- Less waste oil to dispose of
- Far less toxic pollutant emissions
- Regular synthetic oil changes increase the life expectancy of equipment
The best synthetic oils use a combination of up to three different base fluids: polyalphaolefin (PAO), synthetic esters, and alkylated aromatics. Since synthetics are fully engineered, they show better results when compared to their non-synthetic counterparts.
Conventional oils contain small amounts of sulfur, wax and asphaltic material that can promote varnish, carbon deposits and sludge buildup. Synthetic oils are chemically produced with no contaminants in the oil. Synthetics will flow at much lower temperatures and no contaminants means less toxic pollution is emitted into the air and less waste oil to dispose of.
Although the cost of synthetics is greater, the advantages far outweigh the cost. And less frequent oil changes are required with the use of synthetic oils, balancing out the overall dollars spent.
Contact us for more information on the best synthetic oils to use with your equipment.